"I didn't want her to come in, I didn't want the cookies."

AROUND THE NEK-A Newbury woman went to go visit her father with the intent of bringing him some cookies, but instead, she was shot.

According to public court documents, at 11 AM to 12 PM Monday, Karina Rheaume went to go see her father, James Perry Jr. at his home on Deerfield Lane in Newbury Vermont. She wanted to check in on him to see how he was doing, and had brought some food for him as well. After no one heard from her for several hours, at 7:08 PM Troy Brock, Rheaume's boyfriend, called the Vermont State Police.

Brock attempted to call Rheaume several times before calling the police, but there was no response. Brock went over to Perry Jr. house to see what was going on. Court documents say when Brock approached the door, Perry Jr. was holding a rifle pointing it at Brock. Perry Jr. told Brock that Rheaume was dead, and if he stepped any closer he would be next.

Trooper Figueroa, with the Vermont State Police responded to the 911 call, and as she approached the residence she saw at a distance a woman lying face down. Frigueroa said the woman did not appear to be moving, or have any sign of life. When more troopers made it to the scene, Perry Jr. was refusing to come out of his home.

Vermont State Police's Tactical Services Unit and Crisis Negotiation Unit were able to make the suspect surrender peacefully. The standoff between police and Perry Jr. ended at 1 AM in the morning. Vermont State Police say that as Perry Jr. was being arrested, he had confessed to shooting his daughter.

Perry Jr. told police that he was concerned that unknown individuals were playing "gun games," with him. When Rheaume arrived at the door, he told her not to come inside. Perry Jr. said he was concerned that his daughter was part of a "ploy," to allow these unknown individuals to enter his home. Perry Jr. also included that he had been paranoid and unable to sleep days prior to the Murder.

Police say that during the conversation with Perry Jr. he was sitting on the couch when the shooting occurred. When he observed his daughter waving and knocking on the door, he grabbed his 12-gauge shotgun. He then took a position behind a pillar in his living room. "I was just so nervous, and I didn't want her to come in, and I didn't want the cookies." He then told her not to come in three times, "stop, stop, stop."

"I've been stressed out for a couple weeks, and I just, I guess I pulled the trigger," Perry Jr. said. "Then I pulled it more, and then cut her neck." Perry Jr. stated that he believed he had jabbed her with his pocketknife at least six times. Court documents say Rheaume was shot through a door. Perry Jr. stated that he remembers shooting her again in the chest. Documents say she was also believed to have been shot in the back of the head.

Police said that the suspect moved the body inside the house. Then after a long period of time he moved her back outside. "I couldn't stand to look at her," Perry Jr. said. After police had spoken with Perry Jr.'s son, James Perry the 3rd, he said that his fathers mental health had been deteriorating prior to the crime.

Court documents say Perry Jr. has been charged with a felony in second degree murder, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, and a misdemeanor charge for reckless endangerment. He was set for an arraignment at 3 PM on May 4th. Perry Jr. could face up to a life sentence, and he is being held in pre-trial detention at Northeast Correctional Complex in St. Johnsbury. The vicitims body was taken to the Chief Medical Examiner's Office in Burlington, where cause of death was confirmed to be a shot to the head and torso.