Fire Contained in St. Johnsbury

saintjfiredeptST. JOHNSBURY - Saint Johnsbury fire crews were put to work just before 8 o'clock this morning at a residential building on Central Street. A small fire broke out on the backside of a duplex on the second floor.

Luckily for the Fire Department, the fire was located right around the corner from the station, so crews arrived quickly to the scene.

Crews were on scene for just about an hour fighting the fire and were able to contain the flames to just one room in the duplex, with minimal damage to the roof of the structure.

Saint Johnsbury Fire Chief, Troy Ruggles, said despite the blaze, the outcomes weren't all that bad. "We did have some minor extension to part of the roof and were able to keep it to the room of origin. There were no injuries, the house is salvageable and the occupants are now working with the insurance company to start making repairs."

"We're pretty confident at this time that the cause was from an overloaded extension cord, when an extension cord has too much power pumping to it, it's fairly easy to ignite when the cord gets too hot around lets say a stack of paper or a rug," said Captain Bradley Reed of the Saint Johnsbury Fire Department.

 

What's Coming Up At 5:30

What's Coming Up Tonight at 5:30

Adoption in the NEK

Learn how the Northeast Kingdom is handling the increase rate of children in foster care.

 

Cinco de Mayo

One restaraunt in Saint Johnsbury has a unique way of celebrating the holiday.

 

Animal Shelters

Learn about a local animal shelter that's been taking in homeless animals over the last 14 years.