Norrie's Statement in O'Hagan Case Useable

  • Print

norrieVERMONT - Statements made by a man who may be connected to the Mary Pat O'Hagan Murder case, will now be admissible in court. Michael Norrie has plead not guilty to two federal indictments, both regarding weapons. Neither weapons case is connected to the O'Hagan case.

Federal Judge Christina Reiss ruled that Norrie is competent to stand trial and wrote in notes, "upon review of this evidence, the court finds that (the) defendant has a significantly greater ability to follow trial proceedings and to assist in his defense than the court previously found.  In concluding that the defendant is competent to stand trial."

On September 11, 2010 Pat O'Hagan was reported missing, and her body was found near a hunting camp in Wheelock more than 3 weeks later. O'Hagan's case has not made much progress in the last 3 years. But Michael Norrie, in court for a violating his probation, allegedly made an incinuating remark toward the murder of O'Hagan while under oath and in front of officers.

Caledonia county deputy state's attorney Kirk Williams told the Burlington Free Press, "We thought issues related to the investigation of the murder of Mrs. O'Hagan may be raised during a hearing, and we thought it was important to be present."

On Wednesday, the court ruled that Norrie was read his Miranda rights before giving statements to officials. Although Norrie's attorney wanted his statement of the gun case to be thrown out because "he is mentally retarded...(he) has suffered from brain injuries and has extreme trouble processing information given to him verbally" said his attorney.

 

Related Stories: