Better Safe Than Sorry

  • Print

fire pic

VERMONT- Only four months into 2016, five Vermonters have been killed in fires, and two have died from carbon monoxide poisoning. These statistics are urging state officials to make sure residents are taking measures to protect themselves.

"Smoke alarms, when properly installed and maintained can provide the necessary early warning needed to escape a life threatening situation," Vermont Division of Fire Safety Michael Deroschers said. "A fire that starts while you sleep immediately becomes a deadly hazard for you and your family, so early detection is absolutely critical."

Smoke alarms should be installed inside and just outside of bedrooms, and one should be placed on each floor of a home.

Carbon monoxide (CO) detectors should be placed in homes, as the poisonous gas is colorless, odorless, and tasteless. It can only be noticed by detectors inside of the home. The most common sources of CO are heating appliances, wood burning stoves, generators, auto mobiles, and gas cooking grills.

If either a smoke or carbon monoxide detector goes off, exit the house and call 911.

On Monday, April 18, a structure fire in Johnson sent a person to UVM Medical Center for injuries. Back in March, a fire in Concord burnt P&S Furniture store to the ground. With the warm, dry, and breezy weather of late, fire dangers are moderate to high across the state.

For more information on how to be safe, you can visit the Vermont Division of Fire Safety website.