Total Loss in Sheffield

  • Print

sheffield fire

SHEFFIELD- A two-alarm fire ripped through a home in Sheffield early this morning, leaving one family without a home.

 

 

The two-alarm blaze was called in by a neighbor when they noticed flames coming through the chimney. The fire was deemed a chimney fire by fire officials.

 

Sheffield-Wheelock Fire Chief Marc Brown said that a leaking propane tank helped fuel the fire.

 

The surrounding fire departments of Lyndon, Sutton, and Greensboro all responded along with Sheffield-Wheelock.

 

The down power lines made it difficult for the responding units to fight the fire because their water supply was cut off. Other tanker trucks were called in to help subside the flames.

 

The flames were extinguished by 1:30AM.

 

Fortunately, no one was home when the fire broke out. Homeowner Sorcha Johnston-McWilliams was at work and her 2-year-old son was at his grandparents' house.

 

Johnston-McWilliams knew something had happened, "I knew something was wrong when I got the call, but I never expected it to be this."

 

Despite of the fire, there is still something to be thankful for, "I'm just thankful for everyone's support already... But so happy nobody was hurt, thats all that matters," she says.

 

Johnston-Williams had just moved in a couple weeks ago and is now going to stay with her friend until she figures out her next move.